Sunday 6 January 2008

Trip to Greece video - Naxos Part 2 Tragaea

Part 2 of my trip to the delightful Greek Island of Naxos in my 2003 journey to Greece. It's a pleasant excursion in the Tragaea region, with its unspoilt villages, lovely roads, olive gloves and various fruit trees.

It's an enjoyable day… and a fruitful one.

At first I got lost. I got to a small square nearby some olive groves. No one was around. It's all so quiet. Nonetheless, the sun blistering, it was good to sit in the tree shades and relax. There I had some blissful moments admiring beautiful trees swinging and singing in gentle breeze.

I wanted to walk to the small village of Damarionas. After walking alone on the quiet road for a while, a young man riding on a scooter passed by and offered me a lift. I boldly left my fate to the Greek gods and fortunately he did carry me safely to Damarionas. The popular ghost of the serial killer hovering in my head was immediately replaced by a heavenly miracle.

Walking on the road to Halki from Damarionas was a great joy. It was not wide (of perfect human scale), with olive groves and orchards on both sides. What's more, there weren't fierce dogs. Neither were there other people. It's quiet and serene, not creepy.

My secondary task of the excursion was to pick samples of all kinds of fruits on the road. My partial success included two fig fruits, a small green orange, a small pear and an olive, but I failed miserably to get a bunch of grapes and a pomegranate. Here and there I tried hard but failed to pick grapes, which were bountiful but always just about one inch away from my reach.

Halki was somewhat disappointing then. Its run-down Venetian houses seemed dull rather than charming. It's hardly photogenic, and perhaps that's why I had hardly made any video there.

I walked back to Filoti from Halki, the starting point of the excursion. There I had waited for quite a long time for the bus. You really have to learn to wait in Greece.

The video is accompanied with beautiful songs by Tim Buckley and Guy Chadwick.

Watch my video:


No comments: