Sunday 30 December 2007

Trip to Greece video - Naxos Part 1 Hora

From Santorini, I went on to the delightful Greek Island of Naxos in my 2003 journey to Greece. Part 1 is about Hora, the island's port and capital.

Hora's sunset views were charming, and they were everywhere around the waterfront and northern shore of Grotta. You hardly had to really look for it. (Really can’t stand the digitalized sun of a square shape in my video.)

Lovely small hotels in Naxos' Hora were abundant, their whitewash walls decorated with blue color details. Most came with a small balcony, and many were equipped with a small kitchen.
The splashing waves were dramatic around the area of the temple of Apollo, from the causeway to the islet of Palatia, as well as the Grotta.

Kastro, the Venetian Catholic old quarter, was the most intriguing part of the city, and naturally the highlight of the video. It's also the most enigmatic and challenging labyrinth in Greece I'd been to. With its endlessly meandering alleyways and passageways, I could hardly fathom out this labyrinth, even after losing and finding my way there for a few hours.

Further up into the Kastro, Tourists were rare. It's interesting to wander around, hearing the chatters of its dwellers coming out of their houses, looking at interesting details of the houses, walking through archways low and not that low… In the uppermost parts, near the museum and the cathedral, the derelict houses emanate a mysterious air that enchanted.

I wanted to accompany my Kastro adventure with music that felt mysterious and joyful but not gloomy. But most music that sounded mysterious I had were pretty gloomy. I happened to find Primal Scream’s "Higher Than the Sun" right for my clip. This is the kind of songs that always remind me how brilliant a song could be, with my ears constantly dulled by the overload of fine but not really impressive music of today.

A little away from the town center, it could be very quiet. Hardly anyone in sight, walking on the road could feel like being in a ghost town. Mind you, it could be a challenge to find a toilet. An area crowded with hotels reminded me of the surrealist paintings of Giorgio de Chirico, as if time was at a standstill. Rather playfully, I've added the overused music of Ry Cooder to exaggerate the barren feeling.


Watch my video:

No comments: