Sunday 13 January 2008

Notes to the 2-stars video killer and other sensible viewers

What the hell!

A certain mean people has just rated my formerly unrated "Iraklio" video 2 stars (quite a failure, right?) only! Yes, my video was not Pro. But I thought it would worth 3 stars. (Yes, I am quite a humble person!)

Why? Envy, envy, envy! Perhaps because it's lucky enough to be listed near the bottom of the first page when you searched "Iraklio".

I fear that no one would watch it anymore, all because of a certain viewer of either extremely refined taste or extraordinarily awful taste. Then again, he may either be a great lover or great hater of the city of Iraklio. And what if he is simply an utter nutter and a professional 1-star or 2-stars video killer of unrated videos? Woe is me!

Most YouTubers rate videos generously. As a debutante amateur video maker, I thought getting 3 or 4 stars was good enough, and I was overjoyed when viewers generously gave some of my videos 5 stars. 2 stars? It's not fair, especially when many travel videos on YouTube which were more mediocre than mine easily got a few 5 stars. Compared to some professionals and talented video makers, I felt like a primary school student. But at least I did my homework well and with sincere efforts. And it's not those sloppy video clips shot with a mobile phone (and usually less than 1 minute long) without editing.

2-stars video killer, perhaps you are looking for travel videos like these:
a) Long-windedly narrated by someone, pretty or ugly, pleasantly dressed or distastefully dressed, showing themselves or not. They would show you a red apple and tell you that it's a red apple, or something like that.
b) Sights and places indicated with subtitles, and labouriously introduced by these subtitles or in the video description (perhaps mostly copied from guidebooks or the Netpedia).
c) Made up of a series of pretty enough photos, but usually linked up by a variety of tasteless and naïve transitions.
d) Accompanied by some corny music that often does not match the video throughout. And all the city sounds and noises are muted.

Sorry, my videos are not your cup of tea. I am not working for the tourist office or travel agency. And I am no teacher of geography or history. I just want to share some of my impressions and convey some aspects about the place, which I happened to capture during my travels.

2-stars video killer, you have succeeded with your scheme, soon my video has dropped out of the first page of the "Iraklio" search.

In fact, this "Iraklio" video is my favourite among my earlier videos. The elements are rich and varied, so are the sounds of the city. And some scenes were even tastefully edited. In a word, it's quite interesting to watch, if not informative or practical enough for the middle-of-the-road music lovers.

Earlier, it was rarely viewed. Then recently the viewing grows faster than other videos of mine, despite their common low view counts, perhaps because it's listed on the first page of the search. Now it's murdered, (as the Chinese saying goes -- snatch rice to eat from the begging bowl!) and I am trying hard to revive it.

So if you happen to watch it, and if you have some sense and perhaps a great deal of generosity, please give it at least 3 stars.


RIP, my lovely "Iraklio" video!


P.S. - Ha Ha! My video has been revived! Forget about the hopeless killer!

No comments: