Sunday 2 December 2007

Trip to Greece video - Santorini trilogy Part 1

Overwhelmed by the dramatic beauty of Santorini, I had made too much DV of the Greek island. My own private cut was more than 50 minutes long, and I easily fell asleep midway watching it. It's hard to condense it to less then 10 minutes to put it on YouTube, so I've cut it into 3 parts.

Part 1 begins with the boat trip from Iraklio to Santorini, and ends neatly with the boat leaving Santorini. If you are patient enough to watch till the end, or impatient enough to jump to the end (as I often do when watching videos of others), you will be rewarded with a nice song by Whistler. Strangely, for me, sometimes the most moving moment is to see the ending credits accompanied by songs that I like – the end, unimportant as it may seem, could be the true end of the whole video.

My cynicism about the pictorial beauty of Santorini evaporated soon as I got to the island. Those banal pictures and postcards of the beauty of the island were not lying. The real Santorini was only more captivating, not just with its cliff-top villages but also its endless pastoral scenery.

When the boat arrived at Santorini, I was slightly bewildered by the hubbub at the pier. Never had I seen a port as noisy as this (Yes, I haven't yet been to Tangier), let alone imagining seeing it at Santorini, which is often associated with the rather tranquil and heavenly images of white houses against blue sea. Yet, like other hubbub scenes, I was more enchanted by the drama then repelled by the chaos.

That was the usual tout scene at the port. I guess I was picked up by one of the touts. But it's not that bad, after all I had failed to make a reservation of accommodation, and had been worrying about where to stay. Though the guesthouse was 20 minutes' walk away from Fira and had no swimming pool, the room was lovely and comfortable, and I got free rides from the owner to and from the port. Most importantly, it's cheap. (Although I was envious when hearing fellow travellers staying in characteristic cave-like rooms at hotels at the cliff, without spending much more than I did.)

And what's more, there's a lovely bakery nearby, which is my favorite bit of the video. The mainstay of the bakery was a simple loaf of bread that was fresh and tasty. Outside the shop there were two lovely bakery frescoes, and inside it's decorated with some charming pictures. Many villagers went there to get their daily bread. I followed everyone to buy bread there. It made me feel like I was one of the villagers and I liked that.


Watch my video:

No comments: