Sunday 20 January 2008

Trip to Greece videos - Delphi Part 1 & Part 2

My trip to Delphi during my 2003 journey to Greece.

I found it hard to separate the Delphi clip into 2 parts. Depicting Delphi with only either of modern Delphi or ancient Delphi could hardly be Delphi at all. The two seemed inseparable. Separated, "modern Delphi" would lose the essence of Delphi, while "ancient Delphi" on its own might be too monotonous. Together, the clip would be too long. So now in the modern Delphi clip, I've added some images of ancient Delphi.

Trip to Greece - Delphi Part 1 - Modern Delphi

If you could read my videos, then you'll know I was happiest when I was at Delphi during the whole journey in Greece.

At first, I didn't expect much of the place, as I had got quite tired of visiting ancient sites. But Delphi was different. Soon as I got there, I was captivated by the majestic mountain scenery all along the main road.

And the small hotel room offered charming mountain views from the balcony. It's spiritually refreshing and inspiring. How could I not be happy?

Next to ancient Delphi, modern Delphi was a small village that you could walk through in little time. Quiet, relaxing and superbly located, it could be an excellent place for relaxing and reflections.

The small-apple tree outside a village house was my favorite bit. It fascinated me just to watch the little apples falling down as the breeze caressed the tree. Perhaps, feeling dumb throughout the trip, I secretly wished to gain some small wisdom from the small fallen apples, if not to be seduced by some small guilty pleasure. Little apples of wisdom, little apples of desire, you didn't make me a little wiser. Yet, you seemed to me symbolic of the secret spirituality of Delphi, of which the essence and soul was the sites of Ancient Delphi. I was so delighted that I almost felt like enlightened.

I had made a lot of footage of the mountains. It's really hard to edit the clip. Now and then there were these similar images of the mountain scenery. Mountains, mountains and more mountains, it just dazzled me. Of course, the mountains in the video retained little of its charm.

To bring out the spiritual wonder of the place, I have used ethereal music by Love Spiral Downwards and Shelleyan Orphan.

Watch my video:



Trip to Greece - Delphi Part 2 - Ancient Delphi

Ancient Delphi here shows the World Heritage listed ancient sites, mostly the Sanctuary of Apollo, along with some images of the Sanctuary of Athena.

To respect the sanctity of the ancient sites, I did not put music to the clip, except in footages outside of the site. I thought it's best to taste the place quietly. Perhaps there's already a musical quality in the architecture and the relics itself, so it would not be too boring to watch it quietly, if you are not boring, that is.

Frustration:
Have just uploaded the new video of part 2 of my trip to Delphi - Ancient Delphi on YouTube. The video quality is much poorer than the original clip, like some other videos of mine - missing details, awful colors...Sighhhhhhhh!!

I've tried to uploaded the video on MySpace, and the video seems better there:
Trip to Greece - Delphi Pt 2/2 Ancient Delphi

Add to My Profile More Videos


No comments: